Friday, October 28, 2016

The Caring and Concerned Classroom


Fostering a classroom environment that is caring and concerned for the well-being of the students is very important. A classroom that fosters mutual respect between the students and the teacher minimizes bad behavior and positively effects academic performance. By being concerned for the well-being of all students and creating a culture in which bullying is treated as a community problem to be solved by all involved, the students behavior and academic performance with improve.

Beginning with the issue of bullying. Teachers now are more aware of the gravity of bullying and cyberbullying. In order to combat bullying, teasing, or harassment without using authority and punitive measures, schools rely on a variety of techniques. One such technique that I thought was very effective from the reading was to monitor at risk students with daily check-ins from a staff member. This creates a connection of trust and relationship between the teacher and the student. Other strategies include taking immediate action, teach the students to be allies against bullying, and integrated anti-bullying learning activities into the curriculum. By creating steps to combat bullying, the teacher will ensure a more cohesive classroom community in which the emotional well-being of all the students will be protected and safe-guarded.

Teaching in an environment where I am the minority in all ways has given me a sense of the real need for understanding and empathy inside of the classroom. My students are all native Arabic speakers, Arabs (95% Saudi), Muslims, and part of the same extended family and tribal groups. They have a very different cultural, linguistic, and religious background from me. To them, Religion permeates and dominates their lives. The very society that they come from has only recently curtailed the power of the religious police and still mandates the closing of all businesses for prayer. My students believe differently in all manner of issues and behaviors from me, yet together we have been able to find common ground through mutual respect and empathy.

One way that I've shown the students that their concerns and priorities are important to me is by learning about their religion. I am at best an agnostic with atheistic tendencies and I've never been religious. Teaching boys whose whole identity, nationality,  culture, and language is predicated upon the tenets of Islam made me decide to learn more about the religion itself. I reasoned, that if I knew more about their religion I would be able to understand their priorities and values better. Through discussing religion and asking informed questions, I've shown the students that I take their priorities and faith seriously and respectfully.

Another step I've taken is familiarizing myself with the families, parents, cousins, and uncles of the students. By knowing their families I am able to show the students that they are not simple some nearly anonymous figure in my class. Rather, I am taking the time to learn about them and their families while simultaneously strengthening the home school connection.





Sources:
References:
Marzano, R. J. (2007). The art and science of teaching: A comprehensive framework for effective instruction. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.

Schibsted, E. (2009, May 13). Bookmark How to Develop Positive Classroom Management Evantheia Schibsted. Retrieved October 27, 2016, from https://www.edutopia.org/classroom-management-relationships-strategies-tips

Building Relationships: Share Passion with Students. (n.d.). Retrieved October 27, 2016, from https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/teacher-student-relationship

McClure, L. (2016, October 10). Bringing Restorative Practices to Your School. Retrieved October 27, 2016, from https://www.edutopia.org/article/bringing-restorative-practices-to-your-school-laura-mcclure

Stansberry Brusnahan, L., & Neilsen Gatti, S. (n.d.). Impact Newsletter: Where Does Social-Emotional Well-Being Fit into the School Curriculum? Retrieved October 28, 2016, from https://ici.umn.edu/products/impact/241/5.html 


Change Attitudes Toward Bullying: Be An Ally. (n.d.). Retrieved October 27, 2016,

Manna, R. (n.d.). What Can I Do About Bullies? | Scholastic.com. Retrieved October 27, 2016,

No comments:

Post a Comment